Saturday, December 25, 2010

Holiday Traditions

Throughout the holiday season I've been thinking a lot about our family traditions. Some are a bit quirky, like the holiday season opener: The Annual Thanksgiving Pea Fight (of which my immediate family is always crowned the champions -we have the custom t-shirts to prove it!) or the disco ball on top of our Christmas tree. When I asked my kids to name a couple of our holiday traditions, those were the two they mentioned. I can't blame them, they are on the top of my list too!

It's Christmas morning as I write and we're staying with my husband's aunt, uncle, and family in northern California. We had a wonderful dinner and gift exchange at a nearby cousin's home yesterday evening. The tradition of family coming together from near and far was complete with children of all ages celebrating the holiday. One of my husband's family traditions is to sing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" as people leave the party. They also read, "Twas the Night Before Christmas," before we call it a night.

I always let my kids open one present on Christmas Eve. They know what they're getting, but it's a tradition to give them a new set of pajamas to wear that night. As hard as I try to trick them and tell them they're getting something else, they know it's PJ's.



When I was a little girl, my grandparents slept at our house on Christmas Eve so they could be part of the Christmas morning festivities watching my sister and me go through the gigantic (it seemed huge at the time) pile of toys Santa brought. I remember waking up my grandma before dawn each year to ask her if she thought Santa had come yet. My grandma was the best! She would tell us that Santa had definitely arrived and she'd go through the house and wake everyone up for us. I think she was just as excited as we were to see what Santa brought.

When Santa comes to our relative’s house, the kids aren't allowed to go see what he brought until everyone is awake. The kids line up in the hallway and as soon as everyone arrives at the starting line they take off running into the living room to check out their gifts.



This year I added a new tradition... Custom printed socks for the ladies in the family!




Whatever your holiday traditions may be, here's wishing you and yours many more to come!

In keeping with tradition, here's a little send off "our family style"...



Merry Christmas!


P.S. Thank you Aunt Peggy, Aunt Janie, and cousins Amy, Haley, Kristin & Carrie for the video footage and another wonderful time spent with you!











No comments: