Monday, March 11, 2013

Shamrock your socks off!



As a kid I always made sure that I wore green when I went to bed the night before St. Patrick’s Day so I wouldn’t get pinched first thing in the morning.  I took it pretty seriously and remember my mom helping me pick out my St. Patrick’s Day outfit way in advance of the holiday.  We’re not Irish, but my mom used to have fun that day too by baking green bread and making shamrock cookies.  

Curious about the origins of pinching those not wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day, I did a little digging online and found out that it’s an American tradition that has nothing to do with St. Patrick or even Ireland.  It probably dates back to the 1700’s in the Boston, Massachusetts colony when people thought if they wore green it would make them invisible to Leprechauns who would pinch anyone they could see.  Not wanting to get pinched people started wearing green on St. Patrick's Day.


If you’re like me and don’t want to get pinched, sockprints has come up with some fun, green ideas to keep those Leprechauns away and shamrock your socks off!



Sockprints hasn't forgotten about personalized socks for men!  They too, can be pinched if they're not wearing green.  Try these ideas when creating your own custom socks online at sockprints.  



   
Have a fun and green St. Patrick's Day and may the luck of the Irish be with you!



No comments: